googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: They say to wood, "You are my father."

Friday, November 14, 2008

They say to wood, "You are my father."

There’s a fellow young-earth-creationist (YEC) who posts along with me defending creation in an online debate forum. He uses the screen name Junkyardboy and his profile links to his church, Valley Bible Church. I really enjoy reading his posts and he always makes some great points. Anyway, the other day he made this insightful point that I wanted to share here..

"As a thief is disgraced when he is caught,
so the house of Israel is disgraced—
they, their kings and their officials,
their priests and their prophets.

They say to wood, 'You are my father,'
and to stone, 'You gave me birth.'
They have turned their backs to me
and not their faces;
yet when they are in trouble, they say,
'Come and save us!'

Where then are the gods you made for yourselves?
Let them come if they can save you
when you are in trouble!
For you have as many gods
as you have towns, O Judah.
Jeremiah 2:26-28

Now, in the context of the passage, these verses are specifically dealing with Israel’s sin of idolatry. The people worshipped idols of stone and wood as though these were their gods. They rejected the Creator God and replaced Him with gods of their own choosing and God is chiding their foolishness for believing a tree or a rock created them.

Today, secular science believes there was once an event dubbed, “abiogenesis.” Abiogenesis is the belief that non-living chemicals somehow arranged themselves to become the first living life form – the supposed common ancestor of all living things. There are many different theories as to how such a thing could happen but it’s important to note that abiogenesis has never been duplicated or observed. Even though there is no scientific evidence that such a thing is possible, they still believe it happened because,… well… here we are!

So tell me, what exactly is the qualitative difference between believing we came from a rock and believing we came from a fortunate arrangement of chemicals? Some people ridicule me for believing in creation. I think it’s far more incredible to believe life just happened by itself. The latter looks to me like a modern version of believing a stone gave us birth.

No comments: