googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: And You Think We're Embarrassing?

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

And You Think We're Embarrassing?

I've said many times in the past that I can't figure out the left. In fact, I've said it so many times that I'm starting to feel a little silly. Surely I can come up with something a little more original, can't I? Honestly I can't. I just cannot understand how liberals think. Oh sure, I always know what they're going to think; they're always going to hate Christians and conservatives. It's their reasoning that I can't figure out. They are able to simultaneously hold completely contradictory views and still be totally oblivious to their hypocrisy. How does a mind work like that?


OK, here's the most recent example. Liberals are all about diversity, right? I mean, they're for equality, tolerance, fairness, yadda, yadda, yadda. Take something like homosexuality. If my city ever hosted an event like a Gay Pride parade, I'd be embarrassed. Yet not the liberals. They're proud of their gay pride. To them, being gay is like a virtue and the more outrageous a gay person is, the more tolerant they are. If I don't “tolerate” their embarrassing antics, then I'm the one who has the problem. I'm called a homophobe.

Now let's compare that to the recent announcement to build an Ark-based tourist attraction in Kentucky. It seems that Courier Journal columnist, Pam Platt, is really embarrassed by it. In her editorial, A Whirlwind of Ignorance, (a reference to the movie, Inherit the Wind, based loosely on the Scopes trial), Ms. Platt said, “the proposed creationism park reinforces unfortunate stereotypes about Kentucky and Kentuckians.” In other words, she believes if we build such an attraction, it would only prove we're all just backward hicks.

Ms. Platt, where's some of that liberal tolerance now? Why is it that cities like San Francisco are called progressive and enlightened because of their tolerant attitude toward flaming homosexuals while KY embarrasses you because people here actually believe the Bible? I guess some beliefs are more equal than others. I wonder what liberals would be saying if there were a Gay Pride museum being built instead. No doubt we'd be hearing pleas for tolerance.

Can you imagine the outrage I would hear if I said I would be embarrassed if a Mosque was built in my neighborhood? Yet liberals see no hypocrisy when they feel embarrassed by Bible believing Christians. Liberals' hearts don't bleed for us.

It's clear to see who is the bigot here. Ms. Platt is a bigot of the most blatant sort. The Courier Journal should be embarrassed by her.  There's a term for Ms. Platt and those like her – they're called “theophobes.”

4 comments:

Carvin said...

First off, came here about another article you wrote about Matthew 5:27, which was quite good. Figured I wouldn't bother with multiple comments. Shame you don't seem to get more.

But, to the point. I am Christian, liberal, bisexual, a man married to a lovely woman, and a staunch supporter of LGBT rights... I don't claim to be the best representative of any of those descriptors, but I am pretty good at explaining things. And I'd be happy to lovingly explain how 'liberals think'.

First, to think that no liberal, non-hetero, non-Christian etc. has ever been embarrassed by a Pride Parade you clearly haven't talked to many. Quite a few have expressed not being comfortable with the nature of such parades; gaudiness, the sexual nature of some who go, and sometimes such people find it awkward to be around such flamboyance. I am not one such person, but I'd also never march half naked with a feather boa. I have only ever been to one Pride Parade and I spent it distracting people with signs saying that homosexuals will go to hell. I did it so people in the parade could enjoy themselves and hopefully have less association of Christianity with such hateful messages. It was actually by accident, I was staying in a hotel nearby for a utterly unrelated convention. But enough about me.

It is worth noting that it is true that, for the most part, liberals: certainly the LGBT supporting ones (since some do not) are not embarrassed by Pride Parades. In general, it's viewed as a time and place where those in the LGBBT communities can be themselves without the restrictions put on them by oppressive people. And, like most celebrations that represent a rare instance against self-repression, it ends up a little crazy. Just look at Marde Gras. Most things that happen at a Pride Parade are just flags, celebration, and a remembrance of the countless LGBT individuals who have oppressed, harmed or killed for nothing more than who they are or expressing their true gender.

But, it's important to realize that no, liberals do not view homosexuality as a virtue. We do not view heterosexuality as a virtue either. We do believe that being true to yourself is a virtue, as well as personal freedom. Both are part of a Pride Parade, so most liberals are very happy to support that.

That said, I think most liberals would understand if you or anyone else was not comfortable with a Pride Parade. I think that unless you intend to stop it from happening, you are more than welcome to have your opinion on it. If you feel that much of it is indecent that would be understandable.

And this is where I can somewhat agree with you, slightly. There is some concern in regards to the response you reference being parallel to your own on the idea of Pride Parades. But, most liberals are perfectly fine when you limit your trouble to an opinion which you express. Your certainly do run the risk of being considered homophobic, but that comes with the territory of the fundamentalist view of homosexuality- it is, in fact, homophobic. It is a Biblical interpretation that is used in the oppression and control of non-hetero people. Again, just having a view on this is still fine. Most liberals would be quite happy if the fundamentalist view was kept within house- that is, if you feel it is wrong to be in a homosexual relationship, this is fine: just don't force anyone else to live by your standard. I'm sure you wouldn't be pleased if you couldn't buy ham because it wasn't kosher and, due to a large Jewish population in your area, made illegal.

Carvin said...

(Had to split this... hopefully I got everything.)

And this is where I can somewhat agree with you, slightly. There is some concern in regards to the response you reference being parallel to your own on the idea of Pride Parades. But, most liberals are perfectly fine when you limit your trouble to an opinion which you express. Your certainly do run the risk of being considered homophobic, but that comes with the territory of the fundamentalist view of homosexuality- it is, in fact, homophobic. It is a Biblical interpretation that is used in the oppression and control of non-hetero people. Again, just having a view on this is still fine. Most liberals would be quite happy if the fundamentalist view was kept within house- that is, if you feel it is wrong to be in a homosexual relationship, this is fine: just don't force anyone else to live by your standard. I'm sure you wouldn't be pleased if you couldn't buy ham because it wasn't kosher and, due to a large Jewish population in your area, made illegal.

I fear I'm getting a bit repetitive so I'll get back on track. Ms. Platt seems to have a reasonable fear of the impact of creationism on the young mind. As was demonstrated in the Ham/Nye debates, the greatest problem is creationism is not science as we know it nor as can be useful to young minds. If someone wishes to believe in creationism, most liberals are fine with that. It is teaching it, or describing it as science, that is troublesome. It seems you somewhat cherry picked the particular concern about the building of a life size ark, as it is probably the most frivolous concern she brings up, but she did say it. As someone who does not want creationism treated as science or taught in school, I must say that building an Ark is hardly something to worry about. As a Christian, I feel ashamed that such great amounts of resources are being wasted on such a vain project. The money to build that ark could be used to feed thousands for quite some time. It is a waste of Talents, to reference a parable. But that's another subject.

I think it was a stretch to include that one point. And I could see it as being hypocritical... at least, I would if I knew for a fact that Ms. Platt would find you to be homophobic or close minded for your views on Pride Parades. Her overall article though is rather sound though, and is quite considerate of religious views, and in fact defends them quite a bit.

Feel free to respond further on this, of course.

RKBentley said...

Carvin,

Thanks for visiting and for your comments. I always enjoy comments and especially like hearing from people who disagree with me. I moderate my comments only to avoid having people post profanity or who are just trolling. I don't moderate as a way to censor opposing viewpoints.

I wish I had more comments. I have publish about 1,000 comments over 500 something posts. In the early days, my blog received very little traffic and had few comments. More recently, I've had some regular visitors and the later posts started receiving more comments. Hopefully, you'll keep visiting and commenting.

I'm glad you enjoyed my thoughts on Matthew 5:27. I'm assuming you're referring my note on the use of participles. I really enjoy writing posts like those and I've had people tell me that they've really enjoyed reading them. However, for some reason, it's the posts that people disagree with that they comment on. This seems to be the case with you as well.

I started writing some brief responses to your comments but you've made several comments, each covering several points. My time is limited and I saw that I really couldn't give each of your comments a thorough treatment. In the past, I sometimes take thoughtful comments and use them as inspiration for future posts. I think I'm going to do that in your case as well. Please keep checking in.

Thanks again for your comments. God bless!

RKBentley

Carvin said...

I know I put down quite a few comments. I just searched your liberal tag, since it is more likely to be things of interest.

I'll wait for a post, and I hope I have brought in some interesting ideas.

I am looking at this one first, since it is the first one I originally posted, but I hope my emotions didn't get the better of me in your other posts.