googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: Farewell to Davy Jones

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Farewell to Davy Jones


I was surprised and saddened today when I heard about the passing of Davy Jones. At the risk of giving away my age, I remember watching the Monkees when I was young. A few years back, when my daughter was younger, she was watching a Barney special. At one point, some monkeys were pushing a bed out onto the stage when Baby Bop said, “Hey, hey, they're the monkeys.” My daughter never understood why I found that so funny.

I actually had a fleeting encounter with Davy Jones about 10 years ago or so. Maybe it's generous to even call it an “encounter.” It was more like a near-encounter. Let me recount it for you.

I was attending a men's retreat in Northern KY, just across the river from Cincinnati, OH. During one of the breaks, I had gone into the lobby of the hotel and noticed a group of men standing around at the opposite side of the lobby. I didn't think anything about it and went back into the conference room. After a few minutes, my father-in-law came back to the table and told me it was Davy Jones who had been in the lobby.  He was apparently staying at the same hotel as we were but I didn't even see him.  Like I said, it was a near-encounter.

Here's the funny part. Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis was the featured speaker at the retreat. When the meeting resumed, he announced to everyone that Davy Jones was just in the lobby. He then said something to the effect of, “I guess here's a man who really was once a 'Monkee'.” I'm sure everyone saw that one coming but it was still a good laugh.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of Jones' spiritual condition. We should all pray for his family and surviving bandmates. Farewell to the man who was once a Monkee.

No comments: