googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: Jesus is Jehovah

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jesus is Jehovah

A while back, I wrote a brief post discussing the tetragrammaton. Just recently, while I was in a Christian forum which discussed the tetragrammaton, I came across a very interesting post written by a brother who goes by the screen name, Old Shepherd. He listed 26 verses from the OT that use the name YHWH (יהוה) and then paired them with NT verses showing how they are actually references to Jesus. I saved a copy of his post and it's 5 pages long so I won't cite all of the passages here. However, I wanted to share a few of the most significant ones.

Isaiah 40:3, “The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD (יהוה), make straight in the desert a highway for our God.”

Most Christians will immediately recognize this verse as being cited by John the Baptist in Matthew 3:3, “For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.”

As is characteristic of Matthew, he actually cites the book of Isaiah in his gospel so we know without a doubt that was thinking specifically of Isaiah 40:3. Furthermore, it cannot be credibly denied that John the Baptist was sent to prepare the way for Jesus. The conclusion is inescapable that the LORD (יהוה) in Isaiah 40:3 is the Lord Jesus in Matthew 3:3.

Another very compelling example comes from Joel 2:32, “And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD (יהוה) shall be delivered:”

Of course, in Romans 10:13 we read, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

From Romans 10:9 we can be certain that the “Lord” in Romans is Jesus. Again the conclusion is inescapable: we are saved by calling on the Lord – who is both Jesus and Jehovah.

The last verse we'll review is Isaiah 45:23, “I (יהוה) have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.”

Now compare this to Romans 14:10-11, “But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” This same point is expressed again in Philippians 2:10-11, “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

Time and time again we see that what is said of the LORD (יהוה) in the OT is also said of Jesus in the NT. Verses that clearly identify Jehovah in the OT are mirrored in the NT when discussing Jesus. Some people go to great lengths to deny the significance of Jesus' “I AM” quote in John 8:58. I have no doubt they will do the same to distinguish the LORD (יהוה) of the OT from the Lord (Jesus) in the NT. In my opinion though, the meanings of these verses are self-evident. A clear reading of the verses in question will reveal just how desperate the critics' arguments are. Jesus is Jehovah!


3 comments:

carl said...

right on, no doubt in my mind this is true. i came to this conclusion a while back. multiple expressions of personality, same will? this is what i feel is the truth. after years being around christians, read the bible, i understood that there was a God after speaking in tongues, and i knew there was a Holy Spirit because i could feel IT interacting with my life. but Jesus wasn't really part of the picture until i realized i couldn't save myself and be holy enough for God. I had a complex of proving myself to GOD so GOD would love me, but 1 John says that GOD instigates love, and is that not true with GOD's blatant message of 'I LOVE YOU ANYWAYS. I GIVE MYSELF TO YOU AS SACRIFICE, AS LOVE. COME BE WITH, KNOW, TRUST and OBEY ME SO WE CAN HAVE A KICK BUTT INTIMATE N)OW TOGETHER BECAUSE I AM AND YOU ARE'. Be still and know that I AM, right? GOD is the GOD of RIGHT NOW. I feel we need to slow down and worship with sharing presence with GOD. Look around, seeing the blessing of nature: the way air feels over your skin, the green of plants, the blue of sky (psalm 19). GOD IS GOOD. GOD IS ONE. JESUS claims to be 'one with the FATHER' in the New Testament. And GOD gave ITSELF to us in vulnerability, passion, unconditional love. I believe GOD wants to know us intimately, sharing everything about ourselves with GOD. Having an open-communication relationship where we hold nothing back and invite GOD to do the same because GOD IS GOOD and GOD most certainly EXISTS AS LOVE. GOD is wise in lovingkindness, considerate, and wise in wrath. GOD IS GOOD in everything GOD does. Praise GOD.

Anonymous said...

Matthew 24:36 , Mark 13:32

“Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me.”—Proverbs 27:11.

RKBentley said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for your comments, even though they are a bit scant. Since you didn't spell your point out, I'm going to assume that, by citing Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32, you are trying to demonstrate that Jesus and Jehovah are separate people. We could discuss that sometime but it's a red herring because you haven't addressed the passages I've cited.

Isaiah 45:23 says that every knee shall bow and every tongue confess to Jehovah. Romans 14:10-11 actually quotes Isaiah but states that it is before Jesus that every knee will bow and every tongue confess. You can cite Matthew and Mark if you'd like but that doesn't make Isaiah and Romans go away.

If you'd care to address the passages I've cited first, then I'll be happy to address what you've raised. Until then, have a great day. Keep visiting. God bless!!

RKBentley